Virtual data room’s functionality allows you to host multiple databases on multiple physical servers, and these databases can easily share data and maintain the integrity that is impossible in the case of using FTP.
What Is an FTP Server and What Is It for?
Each scientific institution has its own determinants of activity, its own types of documents that need to be implemented in the electronic document management system. This is especially true of research institutions, the specifics of which generate a large number of types and kinds of documents that are not used in the activities of organizations of other categories.
FTP connection can be established using active or passive mode. In the first case, the connection is established after sending the PORT command. If the user is using a proxy or firewall, this mode of operation may be prohibited. To solve this problem, a passive connection mode is used. In passive mode, the client receives a TCP port number to which it can connect. What the server does:
- provides access by login and password to the necessary files;
- shows the user only those files and folders that he can view or download to them;
- monitors the quality of the transmission and makes sure that there are no errors;
- controls connection parameters in passive mode.
In addition, a significant part of the documents operating in a scientific institution is a typical and non-standard, because scientific institutions do not have areas for profit. The FTP takes security issues seriously, especially in relation to persons who have not reached the age of majority, in connection with which, for its part, the Company asks parents to explain to their children Internet safety issues, their specific purpose, and the need to use certain services of the site.
What Are the Main Differences Between FTP and VDR?
There are 5 main differences between FTP and VDR:
- Virtual Data Room is easily implemented.
- The security level of FTP servers depends on the IT level.
- Data rooms have many more functions than FTP servers.
- The interface of the VDR application is intuitive.
- Oscillations of documents are physically not allowed to leave the room, the stench cannot be physically ingested. Moreover, it is possible to easily update the data from the VDR, as well as to reconsider, if the documents have been completed.
- The ability to store big data by distributing it to multiple servers connected to the program. If the server cannot handle such big data, there will be no error state.
- indexing access to documents. Therefore, it provides a quick response to the request.
As a means of carrying out the activities and functioning of industrial relations, implementation unfolds in the functions it performs, providing joint, associated activities of people. In addition, it is intrinsic to have an objective position of people in the field of implementation of certain aspects of this activity, which are formed as a result of such implementation.
Likewise, traveling to and from the physical data room location also requires money for transportation, as well as room and board, especially if the PDR is out of town or even out of state. The costs are even higher if companies are involved in cross-border mergers and have to cross international lines to access data in physical data rooms. With VDR, this is greatly reduced.